In this video tutorial , I am going to discuss with you the working and functioning of Indian parliament. Few MCQ questions can be framed from this topic and hence you should read this topic and watch this video for proper understanding of working of Indian parliament.
Parliament working in India is According to certain rules and conventions.
- Quorum: It is the minimum numbers of Members of parliament required to be present to transact the business of the house
- According to article 100 of Indian Constitution, Quorum is 1/10th of the total members of house.
- Working in Indian Parliament usually starts with Question hour.
- Ministers answer the questions raised by other members of house
Three types of Questions :
- Oral answers are given by Ministers
- Supplementary questions may be asked
- One question by one member only
- Written answers given by ministers
- 10 day notice is given
- No supplementary question
Short Notice Questions:
- A member of parliament can ask short notice question on matter of urgent public importance
- Starts after Question Hour is completed
- Any question of urgent public importance can be raised without giving any notice
- Starts at 12 PM
- Not mentioned in rules of parliament
Vote on Account:
- Budget is usually presented in last week of February
- Approval takes 2-3 months time
- So vote on account allows government to to draw some money from consolidated funds of India to meet the expenditure during this period
- All outstanding matters in relation to demands of grants are disposed off by speaker of the House on last day of session.
- This is known as Guillotine
Motions and Resolutions:
- Motions and resolutions are raised by Govt or private members
- Adjournment motion: This motion is moved by any member to discuss matter of urgent public importance
- Support of 50 members is required to get permission for this motion
- Calling attention motion:
– Attention of a minister to any matter of public importance is drawn
– Minister makes a brief statement and may take some time
- Privilege motion:
-If any minister has committed breach of privilege of house by concealing any fact or has given distorted facts
- Cut Motions: To reduce the amount of demands of grants presented by government
– Policy cut: To express disapproval of policy underlying a particular demand, Demand reduced by Rs. 1
–Economy cut: Reduction of amount of grant by a specific amount
–Token cut: To ventilate specific grievances
-Amount be reduced by Rs. 100