General Knowledge Questions on Indian Railways:
In the last post I had talked about Major Biosphere reserves in India. I will be discussing about Indian railways in this topic.GK based competition exams may include one or two questions from this topic on Indian Railways. So all students should remember these points .
- First Rail was started in India in 1853 from Mumbai to Thane
- Who is the present Railway Minister- Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu
- Indian Railways Operates on multigauge system
Broad Gauge– 5Ft 6 inch or 1676 m
Meter Gauge: 1,435 mm or (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)
Narrow gauge: Between 600 mm (1 ft 11 5⁄8in) and 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm).
Zones in Indian Railways :
Indian Railways is divided into 16 zones. These zones and their headquarters are belo listed.
- Southern zone- Chennai
- Central zone- Mumbai
- Western zone- Mumbai
- Eastern Zone- Kolkata
- Northern zone- Delhi
- North –Eastern- Gorakhpur
- South –Eastern- Kolkata
- Northeast Frontier- Maligaon
- South Central — Secundrabad
- East- Central- Hajipur
- North Western- Jaipur
- East coast — Bhubaneswar
- North Central- Allahabad
- South East Central- Bilaspur
- South Western Hubli
- West Central- Jabalpur
Many exams in India include a question based on Railway zones in India and their headquarters. so all students should learn and remember these railway zones and location of the headquarters of Indian railways.