Scramjet Engine ISRO– India has recently tested its Scramjet technology by using advanced technology vehicles from Satish Dhawan Space Research Center.
Scramjet technique helps to suck the oxygen from air and there is no need to carry liquid oxygen separately in a space vehicle.It puts less weight on vehicle and hence more speed for space vehicle.
You should remember about few important pints on this technology as this will be an important topic for competition exams like IAS,PCS, and other GK based exams.
I will cover the following topics in this page
- ISRO launches India Scramjet Engine Technology
- What is Scramjet Technology
- Difference between Scramjet and Ramjet
- Benefits of Scramjet technology
ISRO launched Scramjet Technology:
- ISRO successfully tested its Scramjet technology on Sunday ,28th Aug,2016
- From Sriharikota Satish Dhawan Space Center
- Becomes 4th nation in the world to have this technology
- USA , Russia , European space already having this technology
- 2 advanced technology vehicles were used for propulsion
What is Scramjet Technology:
- Every space vehicle needs some fuel for its journey
- There is need for a fuel and Oxidiser in a space vehicle. Oxidiser helps to burn the fuel
- So two chambers- One containing fuel and other with Oxidiser- Liquid Oxygen used as a Oxidiser
- It increases load on vehicle
- In Scramjet technology, the engine sucks air from environment and uses its oxygen as Oxidiser
- Also known as Air breathing propulsion technology
- So no need to carry liquid oxygen as Oxidiser in space vehicle
Difference between Ramjet and Scramjet Technology:
- In Ramjet, The engine decelerates the incoming air to subsonic velocity before combustion
- In Scramjet, the Engine can work at supersonic speeds during combustion of incoming air and hence can work at higher speeds
Advantages of Scramjet Technology:
- No need to take Oxidiser, so less weight on vehicle
- Helps to have more speed
- Less cost
- The Vehicle can take more load and other things like other payloads along with it and hence can be commercially used to launch vehicles of other countries
You can visit our website at following address for more GK video tutorials.
For our Facebook page, visit us at
follow us on twitter at